Monday, October 10, 2011

My Theme

Yesterday I had a nice relaxing lunch out with my friends.  It was so great to be able to sit, eat, and talk with two ladies who love the Lord.  One of my friends asked me "what is your theme right now?"  She explained that she thought that we all have themes in our lives:  areas where God is working on molding our hearts, little areas where He is making us think or dealing with us.  I agree.  I can look back and see little chunks of time where God has chipped away at my heart...a little here, a LOT there...

So I had time to think about it, but still wasn't sure how to fully put it into words when it was my time to share.  I guess if I had to sum it up in a nutshell it would be: being quiet.  When you have finished picking yourself up off of the floor from laughing I will explain what I mean.  Ready?  Not yet.  Take your time and get your belly laughs out.  Now?  Okay.

So here it is.  I love to discuss things.  I love to talk with my trusted friends and ask:  "what do you think about this?"  I love other people's input because it makes me think.  And I love people who aren't afraid to challenge my thinking and show me where I am wrong.  In the past few years, I have taken a lot of time learning about what different people believe and I have come to realize that you can't "pin" me into one category or denomination.  I am nondenominational in that many hold great truths.  Or maybe multidenominational might be a better word for it.   Much of my learning came from discussion with friends.

But now I have come to a point in my life where I am sorting it all out.  Information overload can be a good and a bad thing.  I have come to realize that I can't sort this out in conversation right now--I have to go to the source.  So I have been spending some time figuring it all out by the pages of God's Word.  I have done a little writing, but I do not feel compelled to share it right now.

I consider putting myself out there online as a means of transparency.  I am an open book.  Feel free to explore the pages of my mind.  But I have seen others struggles in their writings and blogs.  What I notice is that sometimes people gain a following.  People who wouldn't DARE disagree with you.  At that point, when you have a following, you become a teacher and God holds you to a higher standard.  If that is the case you had better either be right or at least open to the possibility that you might be wrong.  And while I am always open to the possibility that I might be wrong, I would rather be leading people in the right direction.  One day I will stand before God and account for my words.  That doesn't mean that He will condemn me, for there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ.  But there will be some level of accountability.


So lately, I have just been listening.  Listening to what God has to say to me through His Word.  My "theme" has been meditating on what Paul means when he repeatedly reminds us to "walk worthy of the Lord."  Tough thought to some, because we stumble over what that means since Jesus already made us worthy.  That is where I will be.  I probably won't be posting much.  But I will be reading.  And I would love to hear from you.  So what is your theme right now?

2 comments:

  1. You have challenged me with this Lori. My theme basically is "Live The Adventure." Whether that be as a pastor, a husband, a father/grandfather, a cyclist, or something else, I want to live. I would prefer to not go quietly into the night. There are some things my age and caution and body says, "don't do" but for the most part I want to live. Hope to hear from you occasionally-here or my place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill. I will definitely be hanging out at your place! I really enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...