Friday, March 11, 2011

Keeping Your Computer and your Personal Information Safe

I had quite an experience yesterday when I was searching for images to download for my kid's co-op science class.  When I clicked on an image of the layers of the atmosphere, (which showed up in the image results of a Yahoo search...) , my internet shut down and a box popped up saying that I had several infected documents, shared documents, and so on.  It listed each "virus" separately and the threat level of the virus.  Then it proceeded to tell me to "click here" to remove these trouble spots.  I clicked the first button and a download started.  I was immediately worried.  It downloaded onto my computer faster than I could stop the download.  Fortunately, I never opened the actual download, so as far as I know, my computer is safe.

In the midst of all of this, I shut my internet down, immediately started a Malware Bytes scan, and attempted to contact a friend who specializes in computer problems.  I want you to know that this attempt to gain access to my information was VERY convincing.  Even to the point of warning me that my computer was at risk for crashing if I didn't do what they said.  BUT, I remembered a blog post that I had read by a friend that talked about "click-jacking" and scareware.  I wanted to share it with all of you.  Maybe you know about it already, but this was a first for me. 

http://kesartech.blogspot.com/2010/10/it-must-be-halloween.html

There is a lot of good information on this blog about safegaurding your computer.  You can get updated from Keith (the writer) when you like him on Facebook.    Hop on over there and show Keith some love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...