Thursday, February 17, 2011

Glorifying God

Here are two verses that God is making sure are repeated in my life over and over recently:

1 Corinthians 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

and

Colossians 3:17  " And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."


Why do I think He is impressing these verses on me?  Because I need them.  I am a complainer.  I get frustrated too easily.  So whatever I do, I am to do it for God's glory.  Including fielding 1,000,000 Star Wars questions from my 3 year old daily. Including responding to someone who has upset me or hurt my pride.  Including gently disciplining my kids when they do something that I would consider really stupid or inconsiderate.  Yep.  I fail so often.  I am thankful for the people in my life~  My family and my friends. 

I understand why God's desire is for me to reflect Him.    Wouldn't the world desperately desire God if every single Christian spent their days truly reflecting His glory?  I know it's impossible.  That's why God gave us the constant reminders.   May we push on toward that goal friends! You are here to keep me accountable.  Make it so :)

4 comments:

  1. Great reminder! I tend to get overwhelmed and complain. I always feel so remorseful thinking how I tell my children so many wonderful things about the Lord and then some moments I must forget!
    I was thinking about the last paragraph and I agree some people would desire God but the world as a whole wouldn't. Christ was here in the flesh the only one able to honor God in all His ways and mankind crucified Him. But what you say is important because there are people truly searching for the real God and if we are shining brightly they will know where to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! God's been reminding me of certain verses lately too. I just wrote about freedom from worry on my blog today.

    The job of mommy requires so much patience. Isn't it great that God reminded you of these verses, especially when you needed them most?

    I'll let you get back to the Star Wars questions now... have a great day!
    Jan http://www.jewelry4change.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about that Rebecca. I am one who believes that no one seeks God. God draws us rather. I had a conversation with a friend tonight about how "Christian" people are such a turn off to her because of the way they behave and then turn and judge others. I think the worst advertisement for Christ is sometimes Christians. It shouldn't be that way. I know I need to pay more attention to my words and actions. I don't want to be a turn off for anyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wonder if the word Christian has now become so widespread and isn't even covering people neccesarily following Christ..I heard a pastor once say he wasn't going to call himself that anymore. Being loving is the most important thing. We will be known by how we love one another. Its a confusing thing to worry about if we turn someone away. I too believe God draws people. He is in control of Salvation as He is a tornado. People walked away from Christ because of the gospel He preached. I'm with you, I dont want to be a turn off to anyone! Its important not to have a "list" of goodness as it seems every different church does. Christians ought to encourage each other to be in the Word and love one another and help one another.
    But Just as I know God draws I know there are some who aren't drawn and who outright reject. We don't have to feel guilty for bringing the gospel and somebody rejects it.
    Personally I've had to battle this with talking with my sister who was on meth for a very long time..she may still be on it. For the longest time I wasn't brave enough to say anything to her. she's the type of person to slam a door or a phone when you make her uncomfortable. But is it loving her to pretend I'm ok with her doing meth and dragging her baby girl from house to house? no. Am I a perfect mother? NO! its one of the things I think about all the time...how did I end up with all these children, me being so inadequate! Am I qualified then to tell my sister how unwise it is to have meth in her home? My courage came because I love her and know that only CHrist holds the answer for her.

    Psalm 69:5 "O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee.
    6: Let not them that wait on thee, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed for my sake: let not those that seek thee be confounded for my sake, O God of Israel."
    I guess we are called to speak about God and we want to because it helps people and we know we constantly sin..so we approach life in general humbly.
    Especially dealing with my children, I am right where you are. I want to learn to speak gently and with grace.I really appreciated this post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...