Monday, October 25, 2010

Making Mosaics

We are continuing our study of ancient Rome this week with the life of Julius Caesar.  While mosaics were unearthed much farther back then Roman times, the Romans loved mosaic art.  My kids really loved thinking up a picture and finding kitchen ingredients to make their ideas come alive.



Emma's page used lentils, spaghetti, red kidney beans, and bay leaves.  I think that is a macaroni sun and a blue bead moon!

Hannah's sun used red kidney beans, macaroni, and spaghetti.
I am so excited!  We are only 8 lessons away from being done with The Story of the World Volume 1: Ancient Times.  I have learned so much right along side of my kids this year.  I can't wait to start Volume 2!

2 comments:

  1. Lori,
    Isn't it funny how we change when we begin to teach our own children? I HATED history in school, but now LOVE it!
    I've always said I've learned more and grown more through homeschooling my children than all the years combined spent in the classroom.
    BTW, we are going through a series we got on Netflix called "The Story of US" about American History--we are learning a lot of new info and really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely! History was one of my worst subject in school. I am finding myself so engrossed in it now. I find it essential to most intelligent conversation. :) One of the things that I am finding valuable is learning about the origins of world religions. I have been able to show my kids the difference between Christ and other religions. Most of those religions have great doctrines, yet with as evil as they acknowledge man to be, they still teach that we can do it "ourselves." I am praying that my kids understand the difference between the grace of Jesus Christ and everything else.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...