Monday, August 30, 2010

Book Review: Crazy Love Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan

A while back I shared with you my thoughts on a book called Already Gone authored by Ken Ham.  I felt that Ham had a small piece of the puzzle of figuring out why so many leave the Christian Church as young adults, but that he wasn't grasping the whole story.  I think I am about to present to you the rest of the story!

Crazy Love is an amazing book.  It is not a "feel-good-about-yourself"  kind of  book.  It is a book that challenges the very heart of the believer.  If you are looking for something to lift you us and tell you that you are on the right track, opt for something else to read!  If you are looking for something that will take you deeper into relationship with Jesus Christ and challenge you to become all that Christ desires of you, read on!

Over the past year I have had conversations with several people of several religious persuasions about topics like politics, religion, etc.  One thing that I have noticed is that no matter how sincere your political opinion, it is sure to anger someone!  That is because what we argue is merely opinion.  It is of ourselves.  When we talk about religion, it can be much of the same.  Sharing opinion rarely makes an impact.  Sharing God's Word has a much greater advantage!  Why?  Because we, as Christians, need to realize that God's Word is the only truth we can claim as absolute!  When we insist on adding our opinion or perspective to it, it can off as unloving. Does that make holding an opinion wrong?  Certainly not!  Does it make attempting to share principles of God's Word to make a deeper impact on the life of the believer wrong?  Certainly not!  There is a time and place for all of that.

BUT, I ask you: why does that world look at Christians as hate mongers and intolerant?  We can certainly say that it is because they are blinded to the truth that we know.  We can say that.  It would make us feel much better about ourselves.  Right?  But we do need to ask ourselves, it that what it is really about?  Feeling better about ourselves?  Truly it is not.  Crazy Love challenges the idea that we are the "good soil" that Christ talked about in the parable of the sower.  If we truly are the good soil, then why is God's Word being "choked out" in America today?  Maybe we need to consider whether or not the message that we are conveying is truly one of love and self-sacrifice that Christ calls us to.

I challenge everyone to read this book.  Read Chan's profiles of "lukewarm people" in contrast to  people who are truly head-over-heels in love with God.  I will not lie to you and say that I felt good after reading this, but I will say that it has changed the way I look at my relationship with God, and  I pray that it will make a greater impact on those around me who need Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...