Tuesday, July 5, 2011

This Side of Eternity, The Joy and Pain of Being a Nurse

"Come in now.  Get here as fast as you can."
Tears fill my eyes as I speak the words.
Then loved ones arrive,  so broken.
"Will you stay with me?"
Of course.
Hugs and condolences,
But words really fail.
Sitting at the bedside, holding her hand
As she steps into eternity.
A pain comes over me,
This moment is awesome and overwhelming.
I don't know her.
I don't know if she knows Him.
With all of my heart I want to praise Jesus that she is with Him.
But I don't know for sure.
My only consolation is that there was no pain.
But it is a small consolation. 
Such is the life of one who is dedicated to caring for "life"
Life on this earth comes to an end, that is for sure.
But life beyond this earth is where my heart rests.
And today my heart is heavy for her.
And for the loved ones she left behind
on this side of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...