I found a great recipe in an old magazine. I have tweaked it and made it my own :) I love it because it is an all-in-one dish that is filling and goes a long way. It re-heats easily too!
Broccoli, Chickpeas, and Sausage
2T. Olive oil
3/4 lb. Sweet Italian sausage-skin removed
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed (organic-of course!)
1 large bunch of broccoli
1tsp. Oregano (dried)
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 lb. Gemelli or other short-shaped pasta
2/3 C. Fresh grated parmesan cheese
A handful of fresh parsley, chopped.
1. Cook pasta per directions.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan, add sausage and brown lightly. In the last minute, add garlic.
3. Stir in chickpeas, seasonings, and broccoli (I lightly steam broccoli in the microwave with a tsp. of water first) Cook until heated through and broccoli is tender. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water if mix is too dry.
4. Toss the mixture with a third cup of the cheese. If it is too dry for your taste, add more of the pasta water.
5. Serve immediately topped with the rest of the cheese and sprinkled with parsley.