Monday, September 27, 2010

Baked Steak with Tangy Tomato Sauce.

Okay, I have to admit, the first time I read this recipe, I was not thinking YUM!  Can't Wait!!!  The only reason I tried it was because I was beginning once a month cooking and I needed recipes that freeze well.  BUT, lo and behold, this is now one of our family favorites.  My husband gets a bit jealous if I make it for someone who is ill without making some for us!

Try it.  If you like it make a double portion.  It freezes really well.  Then you can keep in frozen for when you know someone in need.  Enjoy!

Baked Steak in Tangy Tomato Sauce

2lb. Tenderized round steak
1/2 t. Salt
1/2 t. Pepper
3T shortening (or sub a healthy oil:)
1/3 C. Onion, chopped
1/3 C Celery, chopped (optional..I don't use this!)
1 Clove garlic
2T. Brown Sugar
2t.  Mustard
2T. Worchestershire Sauce
2t. Lemon juice
dash of Tobasco
1 Can undiluted Tomato Soup

Salt and pepper the steaks on both sides.  Brown meat, onion, celery and garlic in hot oil.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  If you plan to freeze this recipe this is the point where you would do that.  Place in a freezer bag with the juice and freeze.

Thaw completely on cooking day.  Transfer to a covered casserole with all of the juices and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 1 1/2-2 hours (until tender)

This is fabulous served with mashed potatoes because it has a gravy of sorts.  If you try it let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...