Sunday, March 21, 2010

Redefining the "norm"


My experience as a child in schools was not the most comfortable in the world. I had many hardships that I still think about from time to time. I had a hard time separating my "social" role as a student from my "learning" role as a student. For me the social part was much more important. I look back on that now with much regret, because I know I missed out on a lot of learning! Obviously, I cannot change the past, so I am just picking up on the learning process where I left off. That is the great thing about home education. Subjects like history that I either ignored, or never had, are very interesting to me as an adult. I truly enjoy learning with my kids.

One of the things that I hear frequently is that we need to strive, as home school families to appear "normal." I just laughed out loud when I typed that...LOL Normal is basically a matter of opinion. We are not striving to meet culture at the "norms." As a matter of fact, if normal was the goal of my life, I would have sunk into a major depression long ago!! So I strive to seek only what God expects of me. Sometimes I fail. Sometimes I worry too much about what others think of me. I am not perfect. But, if I could just instill in my kids that their significance comes from being a child of God, rather than what others think about them, I will consider my job as a Mom successful. If I can shake the "self-esteem" monster myself, and rather focus solely on my relationship with my Savior, then I will have considered my life a success. Fortunately, God hasn't ever expected perfection!

"I know some day I will be free, the weight of sin shall be released, but for now He covers me. And though the trials never end, I've learned to take them as my friend, for each day He covers me..." Steve Camp

4 comments:

  1. Love it~great post and welcome to the blogosphere:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes what is normal to one person is not normal to another. Thank God for all of our differences and that through Christ we can come together in unity as a body of believers to use all those special qualities that make us unique for His praise and glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Lori....we do not want to be known as "normal" in the world's culture!
    But, I do however want my children to be able to function within all settings so that they do not feel the "odd man out" as I have seen some children feel. It is a hurtful feeling to not know how to interact with kids of all walks of life, or adults for that matter, so in that I strive to help my kids "feel normal" in that they can have great conversation, play with, and enjoy others that are not in "our walk of choice". :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with that Rachel. My kids are exposed to all kinds of different kids. They are (hopefully) learning to interact. But I do want them to understand that there are those who might look "different" or not think or act like us. I don't want them to think that they are "abnormal" because they are not like us. That is why we avoid the conversation of what is normal in my house.

    I have heard people criticize families for they way they look or discipline, or the fact that their kids are not separated out in church with the other kids their age, but rather worshiping along side their parents. I keep hearing "I feel so sorry for those kids!" "Those kids seem so unhappy!" Well, the truth is, the critics don't really know the kids (because they never took the time to get to know them) and they are the happiest, most well-adjusted kids I have ever seen. That is where I think we need to be careful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...